Below is a slide deck featuring graphics from HPIO's Ohio Medicaid Basics 2023 and Ohio Medicaid Basics Update: Unwinding of the Medicaid Continuous Enrollment Provision. Please feel free to use these graphics and data in your work. To use the data graphics in your presentations, click here to access the slides on Google Drive, click “File” and then “Download.” This will allow the option to download individual slides or the full deck into PowerPoint slides, a jpg, pdf or other available media files.
Note: These publications were published in 2023. For most recent data, consult the data sources at the end of the publication.
Key data findings
- Ohio Medicaid provides healthcare coverage for about 3.55 million Ohioans with low incomes, most of whom are children, older adults, people with disabilities and low-income adults who could not otherwise afford private or employer-sponsored health insurance.
- In state fiscal year 2022, federal and state expenditures on Medicaid accounted for about 39% ($35 billion) of Ohio’s budget with 73% of the money coming from the federal government and the rest coming from Ohio’s general and non-general revenue funds.
- Starting in April 2022, Ohio extended postpartum Medicaid coverage from 60 days to the federal permitted maximum of one year after childbirth.
- The Ohio Department of Medicaid has implemented three major components of the Next Generation of Ohio Medicaid Managed Care Initiative: managed care organizations procurement, Single Pharmacy Benefit Manager (SPBM) and Ohio Resilience through Integrated Systems and Excellence (OhioRISE).
- The federal government ended the Medicaid continuous coverage requirement implemented during the COVID-19 pandemic and started a phase down of the 6.2% enhanced federal medical assistance percentage (eFMAP) through December 2023. Starting in February of this year, states have up to 12 months to initiate and 14 months to complete redetermination of eligibility and termination of enrollment, if necessary, for all people with Medicaid coverage.
Suggested citation: Health Policy Institute of Ohio. Ohio Medicaid Basics 2023. May 2023.