Thursday, October 26, 2023
11:00 a.m.- 12:30 p.m.
When people are healthy and financially stable, their families, businesses and local communities benefit. Ohio can grow its economy and preserve public resources by ensuring that every person has the opportunity to live a healthy life and fully participate in the state’s economy.
Research has shown that health is primarily shaped by the conditions of the places where we live, work and play. However, the resources, experiences and environments that support health are not equally available to all Ohioans. By eliminating racial disparities, leaders in Ohio can grow the workforce, increase consumer spending, strengthen communities and reduce fiscal pressures on state and local budgets.
This forum will take a closer look at HPIO’s recent brief, “Unlocking Ohio’s economic potential: The impact of eliminating racial disparities on Ohio businesses, governments and communities.” Speakers will discuss the factors that contribute to racial disparities in Ohio, offer data and insight about the economic benefits Ohio could gain by eliminating disparities and provide examples of actions Ohioans can take to eliminate racism, improve health and increase economic vitality.
Resources, slides and recording:
- Presentation slides
- Unlocking Ohio’s economic potential: The impact of eliminating racial disparities on Ohio businesses, governments and communities — HPIO
- The Blueprint for Ohio’s Economic Future — Ohio Chamber of Commerce
Resources for understanding metropolitan inequality
National Focused Books
- The Color of Law by Richard Rothstein
- Segregation by Design by Jessica Trounstine
- Freedom to Discriminate by Gene Slater
- Places of Their Own by Andrew Wiese
- How the Suburbs were Segregated by Paige Glosser
Ohio Focused Books
- Planning for the Private Interest by Patricia Burgess
Speakers include HPIO and the following guests:
- Glennon Sweeney, Senior Research Associate, Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity, OSU
- Ms. Angela Dawson, Executive Director, The Ohio Commission on Minority Health
- Eric Kearney, Director of Diversity and Inclusion, Ohio Chamber of Commerce
- Celina Cunanan, Chief Diversity, Equity & Belonging Officer, University Hospitals
- Tazeen Ahmed, Senior Program Coordinator – Health Policy & Equity, ADAMHS of Montgomery County
2023 Educational Event Sponsors:
Gold Series Sponsors
Silver Series Sponsors
Bronze Series Sponsors
HPIO is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Please consider making a donation to support our work.