2023 Health Value Dashboard April 28, 2023
HPIO’s fifth edition of the Health Value Dashboard is a tool to track Ohio’s progress toward improved health value
What is the Health Value Dashboard?
The biennial Health Value Dashboard is a tool to track Ohio’s progress toward health value — a composite measure of Ohio’s performance on population health outcomes and healthcare spending. The Dashboard examines Ohio’s performance relative to other states and D.C., tracks change over time, identifies and explores health disparities and inequities in Ohio, highlighting evidence-informed strategies that can be implemented to improve Ohio’s performance.
- Full Dashboard
- 2-page snapshot
- Dashboard equity profiles
- Facts & Figures (PowerPoint with data graphics from the report for public use)
- Dashboard methodology and process
- Data appendix with metric descriptions, years, sources and Ohio data (Excel)
- Equity appendix with metric descriptions, years, sources and Ohio data (Excel)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the Dashboard
- Ohio ranks 44 out of 50 states and the District of Columbia (D.C.) on health value. This means that Ohioans are living less healthy lives and spending more on health care than people in most other states.
- Ohio ranks in the bottom quartile on 28.3% of ranked metrics and in the top quartile on 8.5% of ranked metrics.
How can Ohio improve?
Ohio policymakers have many options to build on Ohio’s assets to create opportunities for prosperity and well-being throughout the state.
Strengthen Ohio’s workforce
Ohio can build upon recent success in attracting employers in high-growth industries to strengthen the workforce and reduce poverty
Foster mental well-being
Ohio can build upon expertise with, and community response to, the addiction crisis to become a national leader in behavioral health
Improve healthcare effectiveness
Ohio can build upon strengths in access to care to reinvigorate approaches to improving outcomes and controlling healthcare spending