After releasing the Health Value Dashboard in December 2014, HPIO convened a group of healthcare and public health stakeholders to review Ohio’s greatest health strengths and challenges. This group identified tobacco use as a significant concern for the state.
This HPIO policy brief provides policymakers and other stakeholders with information to guide efforts to reduce tobacco use in Ohio. The paper is divided into two sections:
- Environmental scan: Description of the current status and recent history of tobacco use prevention and control in Ohio.
- Policy implications: List of the state-level policy options most likely to decrease the prevalence of tobacco use given the strengths and challenges of Ohio’s current tobacco policies.
In addition, HPIO released an accountability map that describes how various public health and healthcare entities in Ohio are accountable for specific tobacco-related metrics.
Ohio Tobacco Use Prevention and Control Foundation reports
The following documents provide additional information about the Ohio Tobacco Use Prevention and Control Foundation, also referred to as the Ohio Tobacco Prevention Foundation, which was abolished in 2008.
- Ohio Tobacco Prevention Foundation regular audit for the period ended May 6, 2008
- Ohio Tobacco Prevention Foundation 2007 Annual Report & Fact Book
- Ohio Tobacco Prevention Foundation 2006 Annual Report & Fact Book
- Ohio Tobacco Use Prevention and Control Foundation 2005 Progress Report Card
- Ohio Tobacco Use Prevention and Control Foundation 2003 Annual Report
Additional information about tobacco prevention and control strategies
- Community Health Advisor (interactive tool that generates estimates of the health and cost impact of implementing several smoking prevention and cessation strategies)
- The Community Guide to Preventive Services, Reducing Tobacco Use and Secondhand Smoke Exposure
- Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs–2014
- The Nicotine Fix (November 2014 article in The Atlantic)
- Breaking the addiction: Policy pathways toward effective tobacco cessation and prevention for all Ohioans (slides from June 1, 2015 HPIO forum)
- Ohio Department of Health Tobacco Program