Ohio Health Value Review-November 2022 February 3, 2023
The Ohio Health Value Review is a quarterly electronic update from the Health Policy Institute of Ohio designed to highlight opportunities for policymakers and stakeholders to improve health value in Ohio. If you have questions about the newsletter or have suggested tools or resources you would like to see included in future editions, please contact Nick Wiselogel, HPIO’s Vice President of Strategic Communications.
Health value graphic
A recently released HPIO policy brief details the state’s progress in taking action on four key evidence-informed strategies to prevent adverse childhood experiences (ACEs): Early childhood education, early childhood home visiting, medical-legal partnerships and family income supports.
“Ensuring a strong start for children and strengthening economic supports for families both contribute to making sure that every child in Ohio has the opportunity to reach their full health potential,” the publication states.
Among the findings in the brief are that the need for home visiting services is greater among groups of Ohioans most at risk for childhood adversity (as illustrated in the graphic below).
In 2020 and 2021, HPIO released a series of policy briefs on the health and economic impacts of ACEs and elevated 12 evidence-based, cost-effective strategies (programs, policies and practices) that prevent ACEs before they happen and improve health. HPIO’s new series is focused on analyzing the implementation status of these strategies in Ohio.
Health value resources
Population health and healthcare spending
- Data Snapshot: Trends in Mental Health among Ohioans— Health Policy Institute of Ohio
- The Impact of Gun Violence on Children and Adolescents — Kaiser Family Foundation
- Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer— National Cancer Institute
- The Massachusetts Health Care Cost Growth Benchmark and Accountability Mechanisms: Implications for State Policymakers— Milbank Memorial Fund
Social and economic environment
- Connections between criminal justice and health: Pretrial incarceration and the bail system — Health Policy Institute of Ohio
- Making the Business Case for Social Needs Interventions — An Update — The Commonwealth Fund
- Community-Level Actions On The Social Determinants Of Health: A Typology For Hospitals — Health Affairs
- How Unjust Policies Influence Who Experiences the Harms of Climate Change First — Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Climate Hazard and Mitigation Planning (CHaMP) Tool — Urban Sustainability Directors’ Network
- Infrastructure Investments Should Be Evidence Informed and Equity Focused — Pew Charitable Trusts
Access to care
- How State Medicaid Programs Serve Children and Youth in Foster Care — National Academy for State Health Policy
- 50-State Unwinding Tracker — Georgetown University Health Policy Institute
- Medicare Data Hub — The Commonwealth Fund
- Hospital Charity Care: How It Works and Why It Matters— Kaiser Family Foundation
- Environmental Scan on Consolidation Trends and Impacts in Health Care Markets — RAND Corporation
- Integrating Primary Care and Behavioral Health to Address the Behavioral Health Crisis — The Commonwealth Fund
- Anchor Institutions: How Hospitals Can Hold Local Economies Down and the Case for Reforming Community Benefit — Center for Community Solutions
Public health and prevention
- Strategies to prevent Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) in Ohio: Ensuring a strong start for children and strengthening economic supports for families — Health Policy Institute of Ohio
- U.S. Surgeon General’s Framework for Workplace Mental Health & Well-Being — Office of the U.S. Surgeon General
- Estimated Deaths Attributable to Excessive Alcohol Use Among US Adults Aged 20 to 64 Years, 2015 to 2019 — JAMA
- What Can We Do About Biases Baked Into Data? — Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) Health Equity Library — Community Commons
- Racial Disparities in Maternal and Infant Health: Current Status and Efforts to Address Them — Kaiser Family Foundation
- Advancing Health Equity: Learning from Other Countries — The Commonwealth Fund
To see the most current edition of the Ohio Health Value Review click here