Paying for prevention
Note: This resource page was developed for the Ohio Wellness and Prevention Network (OWPN), an information-sharing group led by HPIO from 2011 to July 2017. This page is no longer being updated. For more recent content related to prevention policy, see the Guide to Improving Health Value and the Ohio Health Value Review.
- A prevention prescription for improving health and health care in America. Bipartisan Policy Center, 2015.
- Towards sustainable improvements in population health: Overview of community integration structures and emerging innovations in financing. US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2015.
- State payment and financing models to promote health and social service integration, Center for Health Care Strategies, Inc., 2015
- Financing prevention: How states are balancing delivery system and public health roles, report prepared by the National Academy for State Health Policy for ChangeLab Solutions, 2014.
- How Can We Pay for a Healthy Population?: Innovative new ways to redirect funds to community prevention. Prevention Institute, 2013.
- A Healthier America: Strategies to move from sick care to health care in the next four years. Trust for America’s Health (TFAH), 2013.
- For the Public’s Health: Investing in a healthier future. Institute of Medicine, 2012.
Pay-for-success financing/Social Impact Bonds
Hospital community benefit and Community Health Needs Assessments
- Leveraging hospital community benefit for upstream prevention, HPIO fact sheet, 2015
- Federal Register, December 31, 2014, final rules for tax-exempt hospitals from the Internal Revenue Service and US Treasury Department
- Final ‘Section 501(r)’ rules for tax-exempt hospitals compared with proposed rules: Summary of changes, fact sheet from Catholic Health Association of the United States, 2015
- Additional requirements for charitable hospitals: Final rules on Community Health Needs Assessments and financial assistance, Health Affairs blog post, 2015
- Community Benefit Connect, website
- Catholic Health Association of the United States, Community Benefit resource page (includes several fact sheets on determining what programs and activities are community benefit)
- The Hilltop Institute, Hospital Community Benefit Program
Payment reform and reimbursement for primary prevention and population health
- Paying for value over volume through payment reform, HPIO fact sheet, 2015
- Opportunity knocks again for population health: Round two in State Innovation Models, IOM discussion paper
- National scorecard on payment reform, Catalyst for Payment Reform, 2014
- Healthy outlook: Public health resources for systems transformation, American Public Health Association, 2015
- Beyond a traditional payer–CMS’ role in improving population health, article in the New England Journal of Medicine, 2015
- A bold proposal for advancing population health, IOM discussion paper
- Healthier by design: Creating Accountable Care Communities: A framework for engagement and sustainability, white paper from the Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron
- Population Health Components of State Innovation Model (SIM) Plans: Round 1 Model Testing States, matrix prepared by State Reforum, 2014
- Medicaid funding of community-based prevention: Myths, state successes overcoming barriers and the promise of integrated payment models, report prepared by Nemours, 2013