The Health Policy Institute of Ohio has created this page to serve as a repository of resources related to Ohio’s federally facilitated marketplace. If you have questions about the page or would like to suggest additional resources to include on the site, please contact HPIO Communications Manager Nick Wiselogel at email@example.com
- Healthcare.gov (CMS’s site for both the federally facilitated individual marketplace and the federally facilitated SHOP marketplace for small businesses)
- Healthcare.gov premium estimates (The best source for premium information from HHS until the marketplace site is fully operational)
- Benefits.Ohio.gov — Ohio Medicaid’s new online enrollment site
- Kaiser Family Foundation Subsidy calculator
- A list of Ohio issuers in both the individual and SHOP markets (compiled by HPIO)
- A map of the 17 geographic rating areas in Ohio (created by HPIO)
- A list of local help compiled on healthcare.gov
- Map of Ohio enrollment assisters — Created by Enroll America (requires Google log-in to view)
- Ohio for Health — Ohio Association of Foodbanks (The primary Navigator grantee in Ohio) site for enrollment assistance or to connect with consumer assistance and Navigators. Assistance is also available by calling 1.800.648.1176 or contacting Zach Reat at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614.221.4336
- Health Benefits Ohio — Created by the Ohio Association of Health Underwriters, the site includes a tool for finding an insurance agent in Ohio (Site also includes an “ACA basics” that covers a wide range of topics)
- Ohio Association of Community Health Centers — Ohio’s community health centers received outreach and enrollment grants to help raise awareness of insurance options and provide enrollment assistance to uninsured patients of health centers and residents in their service areas. To find assistance through a health center near you, visit ohiochc.org, or contact Heather Porter email@example.com or 614.884.3108.
- Helping Consumers Complete an Enrollment Starting December 1: Tips for Agents and Brokers — A CMS fact sheet
- Direct Enrollment – One More Option for Accessing Quality Affordable Coverage — An HHS fact sheet on a pilot program available in Ohio, Florida and Texas
- Health insurance marketplaces: What Ohioans can expect (July 2013) A policy brief (pdf, 8 pages) that explores how health insurance marketplaces will operate in Ohio and describes the Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) that will be offered in the marketplaces. The paper also describes the benefits that will be included in plans available through the individual market, the small group market and Medicaid.
- Ohio Insurance Basics: A closer look at trends in employer-sponsored insurance (ESI) (April 2013) A two-page fact sheet (pdf) with information on trends in employer-sponsored health coverage in Ohio, health premiums and employer share of costs. Much of the information in the fact sheet is taken from HPIO’s Ohio Insurance Basics.
The following presentations were given as part of a series of HPIO forums titled “Ohio health coverage options in 2014: The new paradigm,” which were held Oct. 7, 2013, in Columbus and Nov. 4, 2013, in Akron.
- Ohio’s federally facilitated marketplace, Michaela M. Monaghan, External Affairs Liaison/Health Insurance Specialist Office of the Regional Administrator, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (Nov. 4)
- Keynote address, Tricia Brooks, Senior Fellow, Center for Children and Families, Georgetown University Health Policy Institute (Nov. 4)
- Ohio Medicaid: Eligibility and enrollment, Doug Lumpkin, Ohio Department of Administrative Services (Nov. 4)
- “Ohio’s Federally-Facilitated Marketplace,” Mary Wachtel, HPIO (Oct. 7)
- Keynote address, Jocelyn Guyer, Director at Manatt Health Solutions (Oct. 7)
- Enroll America Ohio profile
- “How Will the Uninsured in Ohio Fare Under the Affordable Care Act,” Kaiser Family Foundation
- Kaiser Family Foundation Ohio exchange profile
- “Where are the uninsured?” An interative map of Ohio created by Enroll America illustrating the distribution of the uninsured population using CMS data
- HPIO Ohio Medicaid resources page
- Ohio Medicaid FAQ page on Medicaid expansion
- Ohio Medicaid FAQ page on changes to Medicaid program starting Oct. 1, 2013 (including answers related to Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) changes
- Ohio Medicaid: Eligibility and enrollment, Doug Lumpkin, Ohio Department of Administrative Services, presentation at HPIO forum “Ohio health coverage options in 2014: The new paradigm” Nov. 4, 2013
Small business resources
- Healthcare.gov information page on SHOP marketplace
- Ohio Insurance Basics: A closer look at open enrollment for small businesses in 2014 (November 2013) An HPIO fact sheet (pdf, 2 pages) reviewing policy changes in the Affordable Care Act to the small group market, with a specific focus on the ACA’s creation of a special annual open enrollment period, from Nov. 15 to Dec. 15, during which health insurers cannot deny coverage to small businesses that fail to meet minimum participation or contribution requirements, both inside and outside of the federally-facilitated SHOP marketplace.
- Small Business Majority
- “About the Small Business Health Options Program,” A two-page fact sheet created by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for small businesses
- “The Small Business Health Insurance Exchanges: Opportunities and Challenges,” Commonwealth Fund, Feb. 29, 2012
- “Explaining Health Reform: How will the Affordable Care Act affect Small Businesses and their Employees?” Kaiser Family Foundation, Jan. 1, 2012
More information on the Affordable Care Act
HPIO has created a page titled “Understanding the Affordable Care Act” that includes additional resources that provide an overview of the law and its impact on Ohio.