Paying for prevention
- A prevention prescription for improving health and health care in America. Bipartisan Policy Center, 2015.
- Towards sustainable improvements in population health: Overview of community integration structures and emerging innovations in financing. US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2015.
- State payment and financing models to promote health and social service integration, Center for Health Care Strategies, Inc., 2015
- Financing prevention: How states are balancing delivery system and public health roles, report prepared by the National Academy for State Health Policy for ChangeLab Solutions, 2014.
- How Can We Pay for a Healthy Population?: Innovative new ways to redirect funds to community prevention. Prevention Institute, 2013.
- A Healthier America: Strategies to move from sick care to health care in the next four years. Trust for America’s Health (TFAH), 2013.
- For the Public’s Health: Investing in a healthier future. Institute of Medicine, 2012.
Hospital community benefit and Community Health Needs Assessments
- Leveraging hospital community benefit for upstream prevention, HPIO fact sheet, 2015
- Federal Register, December 31, 2014, final rules for tax-exempt hospitals from the Internal Revenue Service and US Treasury Department
- Final ‘Section 501(r)’ rules for tax-exempt hospitals compared with proposed rules: Summary of changes, fact sheet from Catholic Health Association of the United States, 2015
- Additional requirements for charitable hospitals: Final rules on Community Health Needs Assessments and financial assistance, Health Affairs blog post, 2015
- Community Benefit Connect, website
- Catholic Health Association of the United States, Community Benefit resource page (includes several fact sheets on determining what programs and activities are community benefit)
- The Hilltop Institute, Hospital Community Benefit Program
Payment reform and reimbursement for primary prevention and population health
- Paying for value over volume through payment reform, HPIO fact sheet, 2015
- Opportunity knocks again for population health: Round two in State Innovation Models, IOM discussion paper
- National scorecard on payment reform, Catalyst for Payment Reform, 2014
- Healthy outlook: Public health resources for systems transformation, American Public Health Association, 2015
- Beyond a traditional payer–CMS’ role in improving population health, article in the New England Journal of Medicine, 2015
- A bold proposal for advancing population health, IOM discussion paper
- Healthier by design: Creating Accountable Care Communities: A framework for engagement and sustainability, white paper from the Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron
- Population Health Components of State Innovation Model (SIM) Plans: Round 1 Model Testing States, matrix prepared by State Reforum, 2014
- Medicaid funding of community-based prevention: Myths, state successes overcoming barriers and the promise of integrated payment models, report prepared by Nemours, 2013