The Health Policy Institute of Ohio is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization (Click here to view our most recent IRS form 990) that serves as Ohio’s nonpartisan, independent source for forecasting health trends, analyzing key health issues, and communicating current research to policymakers, state agencies and other decision-makers.
Vision and impact
The Health Policy Institute of Ohio’s vision is to influence the improvement of the health and well-being of all Ohioans
HPIO believes that improved health value, defined by improved population health (including health behaviors, health equity, health status and mortality) and sustainable healthcare spending, will lead to optimal health for all Ohioans. The long-term outcome of HPIO’s work is that state policymakers make informed health policy decisions that lead to improved health value.
HPIO’s mission is to partner with policymakers and other stakeholders engaged in the policymaking process to provide the independent and nonpartisan analysis needed to create evidence-informed state health policy.
Core organizational values
Objectivity: HPIO focuses on improving the health of all Ohioans and does not represent the perspective of
a particular health or healthcare sector.
Diversity: HPIO seeks out and considers diverse perspectives, encouraging thoughtful dialogue focused on potential solutions.
Credibility: HPIO provides information that is nonpartisan, data-driven and evidence-informed. HPIO identifies policy options that are informed by evidence and data.
Relevance: HPIO focuses on the most pressing health policy issues facing Ohio. HPIO is nimble in its work in order to shift with changing needs and opportunities.
HPIO engages state policymakers and many other stakeholders in its work. These stakeholders include:
- State legislators
- Executive branch staff
- Assistants and aides to state policymakers
- Health care providers (hospitals, primary care, behavioral health, dental health, etc.)
- Local government
- Health plans/private insurers
- Public health organizations
- Consumer advocate
- Researchers and academic institutions
- Health foundations and other philanthropic interests
- Self-insured employers
- Other business leaders
HPIO’s offices are located at:
10 W. Broad Street, Suite 1050
Columbus, Ohio 43215-3418
Main phone number: 614.224.4950
Fax number: 614.732.5287
Since its founding in 2003, HPIO has become the state’s trusted source of information and leadership on health policy issues. In the past, Ohio decision makers often had to rely on data and analysis provided by interest groups with particular perspectives and agendas. HPIO’s mission is to provide nonpartisan, unbiased research, analysis and communication that enables policymakers to make the most informed decisions possible on matters that affect the health of all Ohioans.
HPIO is a member of the following organizations:
- Ohio Association of Non-Profit Organizations (OANO)
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce
- Ohio Public Health Association (OPHA)
- Academy Health
- Employer’s Resource Association
- National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI)
HPIO is committed to diversity
The Health Policy Institute of Ohio ensures equal employment opportunity in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code 125.111 and all applicable federal regulations and guidelines. For more information on our Affirmative Action Program, click here.
HPIO is committed to promoting a healthy work environment
- Healthy food policy to promote healthy food and beverages at meetings and events
- Employee wellness benefit (all employees are eligible for reimbursement of some wellness-related personal expenses)
- Transportation allowance (can be used for public transportation)
- CoGo bike share membership and bike helmets for staff
- Office furniture to promote activity (ball chair, standing desk)
- Advocated for ability to use stairs in building (encouraged management to unlock doors to stairwells and add signs marking stairs)
- Office location near farmer’s market and bike/walking path
- Bike parking on site
- HPIO and the associated logo are trademarks of Health Policy Institute of Ohio
- Unless otherwise noted or credited, all publications and website content accessible through this site are the property of Health Policy Institute of Ohio, protected under U.S. and international copyright laws. Use of our materials for any purpose other than private, individual use requires the express written permission of Health Policy Institute of Ohio.